月曜日, 12月 12, 2005

Snow Country

For those of you who aren't aware, in 1996 Japanese author Yasunari Kawabata wrote a book about Niigata - the prefecture I call currently call home. The title of the book, you ask? "Snow Country". Evidently that book was not set in my area of Niigata (which is still totally bare), rather the southern areas of Joetsu and Yuzawa which have the highest snowfall in the world on that latitude (around D.C. area). And as I found out this weekend have already been totally dumped on!




I snapped these pictures while I was driving down to Yuzawa to go boarding on Sunday. It was crazy... when I left Maki it was crisp and sunny, and within an hour south on the Kanetsu Expressway, it was cloudy and snowy and driving was bad news. I can't comprehend the extreme differences in weather conditions between these two areas... and I can't control my jealousy for the people who live down there who can hit the slopes after school.

Anyway, I thought I'd give my two loyal readers who aren't in Japan (aka, not Aaron... or Kristen for that matter) a little peak into the ridiculous conditions of the Japanese winter.

For all the hype Japan gets for being this technologically-advanced country, they certainly skimp on a lot of things we take for granted, like central heat and insulation. I do have a heated toilet seat in my apartment though, go figure. So, in no particular order, here are the random things that make winter in Niigata livable:

My kerosene heater. Only the most ghetto folks in America use these things. They smell, they're dangerous, it's a pain in the ass to get kerosene from the gas station. But it's cheap (1200yen for one of those big red tank things) and it freakin works. It also has a timer so I can set it to turn on 30 minutes before I get up and before I get home so it's nice and toasty when I need it.


This little halogen heater packs a big punch for its size. I keep this in my bathroom so it'll be relatively warm when I brush my teeth/wash my face and most importantly, get out of the shower.



This big thing runs off electricity so it's expensive and it doesn't actually work that well. I leave it on overnight while I sleep so combined with the heat from my electric blanket it seems to do the job.


Heating pads. I stick one of these to the shirt under my sweater when I go to school. No, there's no central air at school either -- the halls and the lunch room are absurdly cold. My students probably wear like 600 of these a day since the girls wear skirts and they all walk/bike to school. Japanese kids are freakin champs.
I also stick them to the bottoms of my feet in my snowboarding boots.


And finally, my trusty snowboard and my new snowboarding buddy, Aaron. Funny that I lived through like 20 winters in Upstate NY and never had a need to pick this up, but I'm glad I got forced into it last year. It's gonna be the only thing to do every weekend. Weeeee!

Good thing Niigata has tons and tons of resorts to explore!

5 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

yeah thats right... i am a loyal reader and not afraid to admit it! of course right after you wrote this we got a snow storm today. Not nearly as much as Yuzuwa but its not too bad for the flatest part of the whole prefecture.
p.s. you are being super blogger!

3:30 午前, 12月 13, 2005  
Anonymous 匿名 said...

Wooo! I got a blog shout-out! My self-esteem has just shot through the roof, I may need a bigger desk at work soon because my ego is now super-sized. I think you're way better off living where you do because places like Joetsu are obviously hell. I bet it would be cool for a while, but when it's april and they're still getting dumped on...ugh. That place sucks.

12:53 午後, 12月 13, 2005  
Blogger melissa said...

Aaron, if I am super blogger, you are super blogger-loser! Get cracking.
And don't you worry, Sanjo will have plenty of snow when we get back from vacation.

Kristen, I totally agree, Joestu was always super ridiculous every time we have to drive between my plae and yours. Even before Golden Week I remember there was snow in Yuzawa and at that time snow is just so unbearable!

3:28 午後, 12月 13, 2005  
Anonymous 匿名 said...

dude, i totally saw a kerosene heater at wal-mart today and thought of you. Yours looks nicer than the ones i saw though, probably because it's japanese. also i lived on hand/foot warmers in VT, they're the best.

5:54 午後, 12月 13, 2005  
Blogger Aaron said...

p.s. i did get cracking but i think you have more motivation because you actually get comments on yours... i feel like no one reads mine (well except for you that is), hence i don't write. i still feel like i write a decent amount but you are right, i need to be better about it... oh well, save it for next year
p.s.s. 7 and 8 days respectively!

10:16 午後, 12月 13, 2005  

コメントを投稿

<< Home